Pursuant to By-Laws Title 7, Section 7.2.2B, Participants shall be notified of any proposed changes to the Criteria at least thirty (30) days prior to the date the Board is to take action on the proposed changes. Proposals for change to the Criteria may be initiated by a vote of the Board, or by any two (2) Board members. No proposal to change the Criteria is adopted unless two-thirds (2/3rds) of the Board members affirmatively vote, with a quorum present at a meeting, or with a quorum of ballots when voted upon by mail to approve the proposal. Once adopted, any change to the Criteria is immediately effective, unless some later date is designated in the proposal. That meeting will occur at 3:00pm (EST) on December 13th, 2023 at the Sandy Springs Police Department Headquarters in Sandy Springs, GA.
The proposed amendment to the Criteria is as follows:
Sandy Springs Police Benevolent Fund Criteria for Grant of Assistance
The Fund shall receive and administer funds and property and operate exclusively for charitable, religious, scientific, or educational purposes as allowed within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and nothing in these criteria is intended to change, alter or eliminate the provisions and guidance provided via the Fund Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws. All procedures or guidelines provided in the aforementioned documents are to be followed.
No grant of assistance from the Fund may exceed the amount of the Participant’s or Other Beneficiary(ie)’s need. The Board reserves the right to request documentation of need.
Qualified recipients for assistance from the Sandy Springs Police Benevolent Fund (“Fund”) include Participants and Other Beneficiaries, as defined in Title 3 of the Fund Bylaws.
Qualifying Events for Assistance
The Fund considers requests for assistance primarily to Participants but also to Other Beneficiaries in need due to unforeseen circumstances or crises. Examples of events qualifying for SSPBF assistance (“Qualifying Event(s)”) include, but are not limited to:
- a life changing or unexpected seriously challenging event (e.g., line of duty serious injury or death, fire at a qualified recipient’s residence, unanticipated serious injury or death of a family member); or
- any other emergency that would cause a financial strain on a Participant or Other Beneficiary.
Upon a Qualifying Event, a Participant or Other Beneficiary, or someone on their behalf, may request assistance from the Fund subject to the limitations and amounts described in Title 7 of the Bylaws and this criteria.
Expenses Considered for Assistance
Expenses that may be considered for assistance include, but are not limited to:
- Travel expenses to and from medical treatments;
- Medical bills not covered by insurance;
- Medication that is not fully covered or not covered at all by insurance;
- Loss of work by either participant or spouse due to illness;
- Welfare and care for dependents;
- Other factors as determined by the Board of Directors in its discretion based on the particular situation and circumstances.